Dinner by Heston Blumenthal and The Connaught Bar - London

Dinner by Heston Blumenthal

“Saving the best for last” is a cliché people often use. For my first “Dined there” post I’m doing just the opposite, and giving you my best first. Just a week ago I was lucky enough to dine at Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, located in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel at Hyde Park, London. Yes, its called “Dinner” in a playful historic sense as menu items are modern recreations of dishes that were found in 14th century cook books, served to kings such as Henry the VIIIth. I say that this is my best because currently holding two Michelin Stars and rated number 7 on the World’s 50 best Restaurants list, it is the highest ranked restaurant I’ve had the pleasure of dining at. Entering through the posh bar filled with trendy looking patrons hoping to pick up a dropped reservation, and passed the wine cellar cave-like hallway you'll enter the dinning room. Inside, modern leather chairs match the leather paneled walls in a contemporary styling that syncs perfectly with glass walls which allow guests to be part of the action in the kitchen. Heston Blumenthal's protégé, Ashley Palmer-Watts, is the Executive Chef ensuring that delicate dishes like the Earl Grey Tea cured Salmon, seen below, are served with a self described obsessive-compulsive level of detail. Now, let’s get to what you’re here for, the food. Please enjoy my Dined There, British inspired tasting menu.


Starters:
Earl Grey Tea cured Salmon-circa 1730

Lobster & Cucumber Soup-circa 1730

Main Course:
Roast Iberico Pork Chop-circa 1820

Spiced Pigeon-circa 1720


Dessert:
Spring Tart - Gariguette Strawberries, rose, lovage & basil yogurt & goats milk ice cream-circa 1720

Sambocade - Goats Milk Cheese Cake, Elderflower & Apple, Perry Poached Pear & Smoked Candied Walnuts-Circa 1390

Digestif: Bruichladdich Single Malt Scotch

The Connaught Bar

We ended our evening sipping at the renowned Connaught Bar in the Connaught Hotel. The Connaught Bar ranks number 9 on the Worlds 50 Best Bars list. Here, master class mixologists prepare mouth watering cocktails in a trendy atmosphere. It was quite dark and unfortunately none of my photos came out clearly.

Thus concludes my first post. I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing and that you'll register to be updated on my next post. For more information on Dinner by Heston Blumental and The Connaught Bar please visit www.dinnerbyheston.co.uk and www.the-connaught.co.uk

Comments

Popular Posts